Pages

Saturday 29 November 2014

Café G (SE22 9QA)

184 Peckham Rye
SE22 9QA 

Café G sits opposite the lovely Peckham Rye Common, where the former café/bakery “The Gardens” used to be. The rear section of The Gardens was always a bit dark and dingy, and the new owners have done a good job with reviving the large floor space, opening it up inside to bring in more light, making the most of the huge windows along the front and side of the café.

There is abundant seating space in the courtyard at the front of the café, which has the added bonus of being a bit of a sun trap as well as enjoying views over the common. 


They’ve gone with an orange theme (orange awning, orange lights, orange table legs), which gives it a light and fresh feel. I own a very nice orange Vivien Westwood handbag, and I also have orange wallpaper in my spare room, so I’m rather  a fan of the colour (but I’m not obsessive or anything… not really).


Inside, the café has a semi-industrial feel, with chunky, rough wooden tables complemented by metal chairs. Along the front is a tempting display of treats – pastries, cakes and slices, with a long bar down the interior side wall.


I ordered a slice of the red velvet cake, while Ben had a slice of banana loaf (he seems to be developing a “thing” for banana loaf these days). Disappointingly they did not offer to toast his loaf (note - this is not a euphemism). 

I was surprised by the icing on my cake, as it was more akin to fresh cream that traditional butter cream icing. I quite liked it, as it’s always nice to have something different. My tea (served in a large orange teapot) was a generous serving. Ben enjoyed his coffee.


The only drawback for me was the number of children and babies … this is a very family-friendly café in a popular family area, with lots of inside space to accommodate pushchairs. Of course, if you do have a family, this is a bonus. 

CakeMyDayLondon Rating