Pages

Saturday 19 July 2014

Wilton Way Cafe (E8 1BG)

63 Wilton Way
London E8 1BG
www.facebook.com/wiltonwaycafe


Don't be confused by the "A Johnson & Son" sign above the windows... this is, in fact, Wilton Way Cafe.

It's an ultra-tiny mini cafe, with the disadvantage of not having a toilet (I'm not sure whether they have an arrangement with their neighbours?). That's its only drawback however. 




The clever, simple decor inside shows what can be achieved on a minimal budget. It's as if the tables and benches were constructed from wooden packing crates (which indeed they may have been), and the interior also features corrugated iron sheeting wrapped around the bar, so overall I had the impression of an Outback shearing shed (don't ask me why). 


There's seating on a long bench out the front, spanning the large window stretching the length of the cafe. It's a nice spot to sit in the sunshine.


 

I’ve caked here a couple of times, and this was the first café where I encountered chocolate Guinness cake (rich, moist, decadent). This time around I opted for a carrot and orange cake, and found it to be of excellent quality, taste and consistency (not to mention it was a decent sized slice).


 

Ben ordered a chocolate & banana slice, which was quite heavy and dense. I had mixed feelings about it, but Ben enjoyed it which is what counts, since it was his cake.

The coffee was proclaimed to be of good quality. I decided to forgo a tea (no toilet, remember).

Wilton Way café is a great place to pop into for a quickie. It’s not configured for lingering or working on a laptop, but being so small I think that’s perfectly reasonable. All it really needs is a sheep or two to complete the picture.


CakeMyDayLondon Rating